Help me Doctor!: One of the grads at work has asked for a recommendation for a restaurant in Chinatown for their grad dinner (informal plus because we’re a public body… cheap). Dinner will be for about 20 – 25 people and if there’s a banquet option (or some easy ordering option), that would be good. Any ideas? – Jenny T
Your prescription: The problem with Chinatown is that there’s a fine line between cheap & chic and cheap & nasty. Here’s my recommendation for the best of the cheap eateries in Chinatown for large groups:
- Gaylord Indian Restaurant (4 Tattersalls Ln, Melbourne +61 3 9663 3980) Step inside a Bollywood bomb and share the vast menu of Indian dishes.
- New Kum Den Restaurant (15 Hefferman Lane, Melbourne +61 3 9639 9857) Classic Cantonese fare.
- Hutong Dumpling Bar (16 Market Lane, Melbourne +61 3 9650 8128) Dumplings, dumplings and dumplings!
- Supper Inn (15 Celestial Ave, Melbourne +61 3 9663 4759) A Melbourne institution, with a good line in authentic Chinese or Chinglish, depending on your preference. Their deep fried icecream is recommended – the batter includes shredded coconut for extra crunch.
- Laksa Me (Shop 1, 16 Liverpool St, Melbourne +61 3 9639 9885+61 3 9639 9885) for spicy, slurpy noodles.
- Ants Bistro (7 Corrs Lane, Melbourne +61 3 9639 2908) Fiery Sichuan food and lots of other dishes consisting of red crunchy fried stuff spiked with chillies.
Happy eating! – Jetsetting Joyce