QV Cinema or Flick/Fest is a silent outdoor deckchair cinema returning to QV Melbourne for 2018 for a summer of movie fun.
From now until Saturday 31 March 2018 QV Cinema is showing a series of themed screenings including curated by Gus Berger of Blow Up Cinema. The program includes old favourites and family-friendly flicks on a pop up cinema screen at QV Square.
Each screening includes pre-film events including live performances, guest appearances, pop-up bars and more.
I am invited to visit QV Cinema on the night that they’re showing Red Dog: True Blue to celebrate their partnership with The Lost Dogs Home – and the fact that all QV Cinema sessions are pooch-friendly. Yes that’s right, your favourite furball can enjoy the movies with you under the shimmering lights of the CBD!
All ticket prices are a reasonable $12 plus $1 booking fee for which you receive a set of wireless headphones to hear the audio of the movie plus a deckchair of your choice. All seats are General Admission.
Make sure you remember to bring a blanket or jacket because as we all know Melbourne temperatures can dip sharply when the sun goes down. You can also purchase blankets on the night.
Doors open at 6pm and you can bring any food purchased within QV Melbourne into the screening (and there are lots of eateries to choose from!). Note you can’t bring in eskies or alcohol.
For sweet tooths there’s also a designer candy bar curated by LuxBite, with macarons, pastries, cakes and spiced peanuts.
Currently they’re showcasing their Lunar New Year range and we sample the Fire Cracker (pineapple sable with pineapple jam, milk chocolate mousse, calamansi curd, red chocolate glaze, gold leaf and Golden Prosperity (yuzu cream, mandarin compote, vanilla mousse, gold chocolate). Needless to say these beautiful, intricate creations beat popcorn and Maltesers any day!
The screen and sound quality is surprisingly good for a blow up cinema and wireless headphones. Most of all it’s a special experience watching a film amongst the city skyline.
A visit to QV Cinema is more than just a movie – don’t miss this gorgeous night out in the CBD before the sun sets on the last screening on Saturday 31 March 2018.
- Tickets $12 plus $1 booking fee
- limit of 80 patrons for each screening
- Bookings can be made online via each movie listing.
- limited number of tickets available at the door – subject to availability.
- Refunds will not be given for a cancellation or termination due to adverse weather conditions, but replacement tickets are offered.
- Patrons are required to check-in for the film 30 minutes before the film commences.
- The main tram stop is located on Swanston Street, near the corner of Swanston and Little Lonsdale Streets.
- Nearest train station Melbourne Central.
- Nearest bus stop located on Lonsdale St, between Swanston and Russell Streets, outside of QV National Australia Bank.
- QV Parking after 5pm on weekdays or all day Saturday and Sunday is $12.
QV Cinema Flick/Fest, QV Square (Level 2), QV Melbourne, corner Lonsdale and Swanston Streets, Melbourne.
Thursday to Sunday 1 February 2018 until 31 March 2018
Tickets from $12 + $1 booking fee