Help me Doctor!: I’m going to be in town for a week – could you recommend five restaurants for me to visit, one for each day, Monday to Friday? I haven’t been back to Melbourne in a while so would like to try some new places. – Miranda
Your prescription: So Miranda, you want to be part of the Melbourne restaurant zeitgeist? With no location/budget/cuisine restrictions, I’ve compiled a shortlist of new/newish restaurants which are so HOT right now.
- Anything Andrew McConnell – relaxed Cumulus Inc (45 Flinders Lane, Melbourne +61 3 9650 1445) or edgy-yet-relaxed Cutler & Co (55-57 Gertrude St, Fitzroy +61 3 9419 4888)
- Movida or Movida Next Door (1 Hosier Ln, Melbourne +61 3 9663 3038) for authentic Spanish tapas.
- Just opened Izakaya Den (Basement 114 Russell St, Melbourne +61 3 9654 2977) by Simon Denton of the Verge. Melbourne foodies salivating with anticipation.
- Masterchef was one of the highest rating TV shows recently and judge George Calombris has two restaurants – The Press Club (72 Flinders St, Melbourne +61 3 9677 9677) and Hellenic Republic (434 Lygon St, Brunswick +61 3 9381 1222)
- Tempura Hajime (60 Park St, South Melbourne +61 3 9696 0051). A tiny tempura restaurant, vouched for by my friend who doesn’t even like tempura usually. You’ll need to get in quickly though because the owners are apparently looking to sell and move back to Japan (thanks for heads up from Eating with Jack)
- Coda (141 Flinders La, Melbourne +61 3 9650 3155). French-Vietnamese basement restaurant from Adam D’Sylva, ex-Longrain.
- Attica (74 Glen Eira Rd, Ripponlea +61 3 9530 0111). Molecular gastronomy from Ben Shewry. On Tuesday he tests out his new inventions for a degustation menu of $75.
- Greg Malouf’s statement restaurant Momo (123 Collins St, Melbourne +61 3 9650 0660) is reborn in the basement of the Grand Hyatt. Dessert platter is a must!
- Line up for the juicy xiao long bao at Hutong Dumpling (14-16 Market Ln, Melbourne +61 3 9650 8128).
- Gills Diner (360 Little Collins St, Melbourne +61 3 9670 7214). Old school space serving European dishes.
- Gingerboy (27-29 Crossley St, Melbourne +61 3 9662 4200) Hawker-style food in a funky setting from Asian-fusion master Teage Ezard.
Just take your pick and book early! – Jetsetting Joyce